Overnight Pacing, Lane Closures, and Traffic Shifts Through November 17th Due to I-16/I-75 Interchange Improvement Project
Construction related to the I-16/I-75 Interchange Improvement Project will lead to lane closures, traffic shifts, and overnight traffic pacing through November 17th in Macon-Bibb, according to the website for Middle Georgia CEO.
While the following schedule of construction activities may change due to weather and other conditions permitting, the following beginning Friday, November 10 - Friday, November 17, 2023, are listed below.
Tuesday, November 14th through Saturday, November 17th, from 9 p.m. until 5 a.m. - Lane closures and traffic shifts on I-16 eastbound and westbound: Lane closures and traffic shifts will slow traffic on I-16 eastbound and westbound as contractors for the Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT) move construction equipment
Thursday, November 15th from 9 p.m. until 5 a.m. - Traffic pacing on Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard at I-16 eastbound and westbound: Travelers will be slowed down on MLK Jr. Boulevard at I-16 eastbound and westbound as construction crews place beams on the overpass bridge.
Sunday, November 18th 9 p.m. until 5 a.m. - Traffic Shift on existing I-16 westbound to I-17 northbound: Traffic from the current I-16 westbound to I-75 northbound will be shifted left onto the new I-16 westbound/I-75 northbound alignment.
There will be several other places in Macon-Bibb where construction activities may cause issues for commuters including:
- Webb Street, where traffic will be detoured to Hudson Street and Orchard Avenue during a closure in order to allow construction on Walnut Street.
- Far right lane of I-75 northbound at Exit 164 (Georgia 19/Georgia Avenue exit) will be closed to traffic for several months.
- Spring Street's far right lane at the I-16 westbound on-ramp as well as the right-hand on-ramp to I-16 westbound will be closed for several months and the Spring Street on-ramp to I-16 westbound has been relocated to the far left lane.
Other construction activities related to the I-16/I-75 Interchange Improvement Project, a $500 million safety and mobility mega-project, will include work at and around the following areas through November 17th:
- From I-16 westbound/I-75 to Walnut Creek (In Phases 4 and 5)
- I-75 from Hardeman Avenue to I-16 eastbound (In Phase 2 and 3)
- I-16 from the I-16/ I-75 split to the Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard exit (In Phase 1)
All of the above dates and times can change due to unforeseen factors, including inclement weather, so drivers are advised to get more up to date information before traveling by calling 511, visiting 511ga.org, or using the Georgia 511 app